Playa is a very safe and welcoming place, but as with all touristy places, it’s easy to be taken advantage of. There are certain cautions you should take just to make sure this doesn’t happen.
Here are our top tips on how NOT to get ripped off in Playa Del Carmen. You know what they said, it’s not the money, it’s the principle!
1) Check your bill at the restaurants. It’s not uncommon for restaurants to overcharge you or incorrectly priced an item. A tip of 15%-20% is customary, but make sure the restaurant did not include it already.
2) When filling up your gas at Pemex, be sure you count out your money and look at the attendant in the eyes when you give it to him. Bill switching is common, especially with tourists. Also make sure the meter is at 0 before they pump your gas.
3) The taxis ropers on 5th Avenue tend to be quite dishonest. They will charge you 3 or 4 times what it actually costs. Don’t get taxi from those guys and whenever you get into a taxis ask for the fare in advance. It’s not customary to tip taxi drivers.
4) Don’t use your credit card in clubs. It’s better to pay in cash.
5) Be careful with your credit card and keep all receipts.
6) The further you go off 5th Ave, the less expensive it is.
7) Don’t overtip. It sets up a precedent that’s not good for any body.